Good attendance is crucial to a student's academic success and in forming life-long habits and self-discipline. The Simi Valley Unified School District attendance policy is very specific and recognizes the joint responsibility of the school district and the parents/guardians in working together to ensure good attendance patterns for all students.
What is an Excused Absence?
Only the following reasons shall be considered justified, excused absences:
- Medical and Dental Appointments
- Quarantine or Immunizations
- Death in the Immediate Family
- Court Appearance (Verification Required)
- Entertainment Industry (Verification Required)
Personal business with verified parent explanation will also be justified, excused under the following circumstances:
- Attendance at events sponsored by the school, or organizations/groups approved in advance by the Principal or Principal's designee.
- Appearance at School Attendance Review Board meetings (SARB).
- Observance of a religious holiday or ceremony, or religious retreat (retreat not to exceeds 4 hours per semester).
- Caring for an ill child when the student is the custodial parent.
- Other exceptional circumstances approved by the Principal or Principal's designee.
Vacations or extended trips are NOT excused absences.
All other reasons for absences are considered unexcused. Examples of this type of absence are: student overslept, had a flat tire, had to take care of personal or family business, family vacations, etc. Please be aware that an unexcused absence is not the same as a truancy. However, teachers do not have to accept make-up work from students with unexcused absences. It is at their own discretion.
Senior Lunch Passes
Senior lunch passes are only for the lunch period. If a student is not returning to campus, a parent/guardian MUST call the Attendance Office prior to the conclusion of lunch that day. We will not be able to issue a clearance if this procedure is not followed.
Students will have 48 hours from the last day of an absence in which to clear absence(s) for the purpose of making up work or missed tests. Students have five days to clear their absences to avoid a truancy. Teachers are not required to give make-up work to students who have not cleared an absence.
A student may clear an absence by doing one of the following:
- Student may bring a note from a parent or guardian to the Attendance Office when the student returns to school.
- Parent/guardian may call the Attendance Office during school hours at (805) 306-4875 x2725 or x2726.
- Parent/guardian may call the Attendance Office before or after school hours and leave a message on the school voicemail at (805) 306-4875 x2725 or x2726.
- Parent/guardian may fax a note to the Attendance Office at (805) 520-6817.
- Parent guardian may email the Attendance Office.
When writing a note or leaving a message excusing an absence, please include the following:
- Student's name, dates of the absence(s) and reason student was absent.
- Please sign each note and include a phone number for verification.