“Since the founding of this Nation, education and democracy have gone hand in hand. . . . The Founders believed a nation that governs itself, like ours, must rely upon an informed and engaged electorate. Their purpose was not only to teach all Americans how to read and write but to instill the self-evident truths that are the anchors of our political system -- truths, to quote Jefferson, such as: "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.''
- Ronald Reagan, 1988
Royal High School and the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation have developed a partnership in education. This unique and one-of-a-kind partnership has resulted in the Ronald Reagan Citizen Scholar Institute (RR CSI) at Royal High School. Within the RR CSI there are four areas of educational focus: Individual Liberty, Global Economy, National Pride and Economic Opportunity. Under the RR CSI, there are also two additional programs in the works: the International Baccalaureate program and the Air Force Junior ROTC program. It is the expectation that as students progress through their education at Royal they will select an area of focus and pursue a Ronald Reagan Citizen Scholar Diploma Seal. Royal High School is leading the way for civics education for high schools across the country.
Diploma Seal Requirements
1. Complete an authentic service learning project
2. Submission and presentation of your project
3. Identify a mentor to supervise you in your project
4. Participate in school governance activities
5. Participate in extra-curricular activities
6. Participate in simulation of the democratic process
7. Successfully complete a minimum of one AP history course at RHS
8. Join PTSA and attend one meeting
9. Attend five Brown Bag Lunch Speaker series
Class of 2015:
The application period for the the Ronald Reagan Citizen Scholar Institute at Royal High School diploma seal opened in the spring of 2013 for the Class of 2016.